Friday, March 18, 2011

Podcast Choice

I subscribed to the Wessels Living History Farm podcast.  I drive by the Wessels Living History farm site every day on my way to school, but I never considered it as a possible podcast subscription.  However, when trying to find what I wanted, I searched "Ted Kooser" (the 13th Poet Laureate of the United States who is from the Seward area) and I found Wessels with numerous episodes of Mr. Kooser reading his work set to photography.  My kids read Local Wonders and many of his poems such as "Abandoned Farmhouse."  In past years I have done artifact writing with my sophomores after reading a section of Local Wonders about the lone lilac bush on the corner of the property that protects numerous lost artifacts and evidences of life.

I am working through the details about how to incorporate the Ted Kooser podcast episodes from Wessels and then to have students create their own, modeled after his.   I think it would also be a great way to demonstrate the power writing has, especially when read by the author.  In the beginning I wasn't sure where this podcast "thing" would take me, but now I'm excited for the possibilities!

No comments:

Post a Comment